Weekly study5 hours
International Leadership: The Evolution of Management and Leadership Theory
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Discover your leadership qualities
Develop your understanding of the evolution of leadership and management theory with this online short course developed by Coventry University.
You’ll have the chance to look at what leadership is, examine the relationship between power and leadership, and compare the concepts of assigned leadership and emergent leadership.
Identify your personal leadership qualities by completing the leadership questionnaires introduced on this training and use these insights to develop your professional practice.
Improve your understanding of good leadership by examining the difference between leadership and management
On this course, you will have the chance to discuss and investigate the differences between a leader and a manager.
You’ll look at assigned leadership and emergent leadership within organisations and compare and contrast the two approaches. Using these and other insights from leadership and management theory, you’ll discover the qualities that make a good leader for organisations of various types.
Develop your leadership qualities by studying leadership and management theories
Are leaders born or made?
On this short course, you will have the opportunity to examine the evolution of leadership theory by exploring the key concepts of leadership.
You will also be able to reflect on your own skills and experiences, using leadership questionnaires to assess your own leadership qualities.
This online training from Coventry University is the ideal introduction to the evolution of management within international leadership. It will equip you with the theory and personal insights to become a more informed leader within your organisation.
What is Leadership?
Welcome to the course
Find out what you can expect from this week's activities.
What is leadership, and how did the concept of leadership develop?
Ways to assess leadership
There are different perspectives on how someone's leadership abilities can be assessed; here we explore and contrast some of them.
The difference between leaders and managers
How do you know if someone is a leader or a manager? Is there any difference?
Leadership and Management
Power plays an important role in leadership; used responsibly it can enhance your capacity to be an effective leader.
Assessing your own leadership qualities
Get familiar with different leadership theories and then assess your own abilities under two of these theories.
A look back at what we have learned in this short course.
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
Add to Wishlist to be emailed when new dates are announced
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the fundamental concepts of leadership and the evolution of leadership theory
- Assess your own leadership qualities
- Identify the differences between a leader and a manager
Who is the course for?
It’s ideal for those wanting to progress into a leadership role and those looking for leadership skills as part of their continued professional development.
If you want to develop your knowledge further, you may want to take these courses, from the same provider, that share the same overall learning outcomes:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn