Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 4 hours
Extra benefits From $74 Find out more
Explore the fundamentals of dynamics
Designing structures in today’s work means using more than static criteria. Dynamics is now integrated into the design and specification of aerospace and light structures. Having a good knowledge of dynamics is crucial for those creating structures whether they are aircraft or vehicles, in civil, naval or other types of engineering.
In this course you will learn the fundamentals of dynamics and explore how dynamics is relevant to structural engineering. By the end of the course you will have a new perspective on the qualification and behaviour of all mechanical systems.
What topics will you cover?
This course sums up the foundation of solid dynamics applied to structural analysis, as follows:
- A first item deals with the fundamental signification of dynamics. Dynamics is not simply an extension of statics, but another modeling with open possibilities (including statics, obviously). The basic theorems (Newton’s equivalence principle, König’s theorems, conservations) are detailed in the perspective of structural applications.
- The second point presents the generation of discrete dynamic systems, in the general formalism of Lagrange, well adapted for numerical modeling of dynamics. This toll is essential for the general representation of dynamic systems.
- Then the third step consists in the generation and solution of matrix equations in the frame of conservative structural systems, with Gaussian modes. This part is important for the comprehension of the eigenshapes in vibration and shocks.
- In the frame of the theory of prismatic beams, the application of the general dynamic formalism to continuous thin elementary is an example of generalization of the eigenshape theory and general dynamic representation of structures.
- The four parts can be studied sequentially or independently; and even inside each part, elementary learning items can be picked up.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Available nowThis course started 16 Dec 2019
Who is the course for?
This course is for those with a good knowledge of physics who are interested in dynamics. It is ideal for undergraduate students in mechanical or physics engineering, engineers in the field of aerospace structures who want to integrate dynamics in certification process, and scientists and researchers who want to rediscover the fundamentals of dynamics.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: