Understanding English Dictionaries
Duration 6 weeks
Weekly study 6 hours
Extra benefits From $54 Find out more
Discover the fascinating world of English dictionaries
While many people use dictionaries, they may not know very much about them, especially if they’re online. We aren’t usually aware of which dictionary an entry has come from, why the word was included in the dictionary, how the dictionary compilers assembled this information, or how valid it is.
On this course you will explore the ins and outs of English dictionaries, learning from established dictionary editors and researchers. You will explore subjects such as trends in lexicographic research, possible dictionary entry components, and the content and wording of definitions.
What topics will you cover?
Over the six weeks of the course, learners explore the key areas of the curriculum below through readings, articles, videos and multimedia resources, quizzes, social engagement with fellow learners and active learning resources:
- The reasons why we use dictionaries.
- The differences between “landmark” dictionaries such as the Oxford English Dictionary and less conventional products such as collaborative and crowdsourced dictionaries.
- What goes into a dictionary – who decides, and how?
- Dictionaries and dictionary information for different users.
- The stages in corpus-based lexicography.
- How meanings are created, why some words have more than one meaning, how lexicographers identify meanings and how meanings are explained in a dictionary.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone with a general interest in the English language. It might also be useful for those studying or teaching English, languages or lexicography.
Please note that the individuals listed below under the title “Who will you learn with?” may be subject to change.
Who will you learn with?
Coventry secured gold in the UK Government’s 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and is University of the Year for Student Experience in The Times & The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
The Alan Turing Institute is the UK’s national institute for data science and artificial intelligence, working in partnership with government, industry and universities around the UK.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: