Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $64
Understanding Global Development Management
Get a taste of the Open University's Global Development Management degree
Development can mean different things to different people. For development managers around the world, it’s about the process of bringing about change and achieving social justice. But how can development be managed and what tools do development managers need?
In this course, you will discuss the answers to these questions and boost your understanding of development management as a whole. As you learn to unpack what development management is, you will recognise the complexities and political nature of development. You will also apply a development management tool to a real-world context.
- An explanation of what development management and development are
- A story of development management
- An opportunity to engage with development management and consider mitigating unconscious bias
- The practice of development management and the rights to manage development for others
- The project cycle and a stakeholder analysis tool
- Experience studing development at postgraduate level.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate your understanding of the different forms development and its management have taken, in theory and in practice
- Describe the key concepts, theories and methods that reveal development management as a process that is personal, political and professional
- Assess project cycle and stakeholder analysis as a tool used by development managers
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in or already working in the development sector. It will act as a guide for those thinking of moving into development work.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.