Understand prescribing and using insulin
The current spend on diabetes care by the NHS is estimated to be £1.6 million pounds per hour. 80% of this is spent on managing diabetes complications, the risk of which can be significantly reduced through effective blood glucose control using insulin.
This course will increase your knowledge about insulin covering safe prescribing, effective clinical use and how different insulins work. If you are a healthcare professional it will equip you with the skills to help you reduce insulin-related errors or if you have diabetes it should show you why insulin is so important for living well.
What topics will you cover?
• An introduction to insulin and diabetes
• How the body controls blood glucose concentrations
• How insulin works and what happens in diabetes
• Types of insulin available for clinical use
• Clinical indications for using insulin
• Administration of insulin
• Factors affecting insulin performance
• The side effects of insulin
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
This course has been primarily created for healthcare professionals to help reduce concerns around prescribing and managing insulin. However it might be also of interest to people with diabetes who do not have regular access to a healthcare professional and who want to find out more about how insulin works.
Who will you learn with?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLinsulin to talk about this course on social media.