Weekly study2 hours
Using Film to Teach Literacy Online and in the Classroom
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Discover how to improve literacy using film
On this online course, you’ll identify how you can use film as a key tool to deliver blended learning literacy lessons with your pupils during the current coronavirus pandemic.
Enhance your pupils’ literacy learning with film
Recent research has shown film can be a powerful tool to help improve children’s reading and writing.
It can also be used to develop a range of abilities – decoding, inference and analysis – as well as expanding creativity and improving vocabulary.
Explore how film is the perfect resource for blended learning
Film education experts at the British Film Institute (BFI) and film education charity Into Film will help you discover what makes film so useful for students learning both online and in the classroom.
You’ll examine how to use visual storytelling to aid students’ analytical abilities and apply an understanding of sound to help pupils’ visual literacy and interpretation skills.
Create lessons that engage and excite
Discovering an array of inspiring activities and teaching frameworks, you’ll learn how to create lessons from your own homes or the classroom.
Film is a resource that’s easy to use and access, and that can hold students’ attention – perfect for these times of online teaching and disrupted resources. You’ll come away able to create literacy lessons that will engage all.
- How to use the 3Cs and 3Ss to educate pupils around analysis, comprehension, and narrative writing.
- How to breakdown a short film into camera, colour, character, sound, story, setting.
- How each element can be used to create engaging lessons before being bought together.
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply knowledge of using visual storytelling to aid students’ analytical skills
- Apply knowledge of sound to aid pupils' visualisation and interpretation skills
- Apply knowledge of frame composition, such as camera shots, angles and movement, to create extended writing
- Demonstrate how other creative approaches can be used to engage and encourage pupils
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at educators who are teaching their pupils either in the classroom or from home during this difficult period and are looking for engaging, relevant, and easy to use resources.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.