Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 4 of 6
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
UX Design: From Concept to Prototype
Enhance your skills in user interaction design and development
Want to learn the secret to great UX design? This UX course from the University of Michigan will teach you the systematic process of nurturing a product from its basic concept to a functioning prototype.
Define user needs and create a UX storyboard
You’ll begin the course by learning how to identify the problem you’re trying to solve for your user and discovering the UX techniques you can use to develop a design that solves it.
You’ll get hands-on experience in techniques like scenario development, UX sketching, and storyboarding, which you can use to translate your understanding of your users’ needs into an impactful user experience.
Build skills in UX wireframing and prototype design
As you discover the UX wireframing process, you’ll learn how to turn UX wireframes into prototypes that can be used for evaluating your designs in user testing.
This course covers the process of user testing using paper prototypes for early testing feedback as well as more interactive prototypes that can be iterated on to create a final, high-quality design.
Learn low to high-fidelity UX prototyping
By the end of the course, you’ll have developed your ability to build a product from its basic concept to a high-fidelity mockup and interactive prototype.
You’ll be able to solve and test conceptual issues in prototyping and design and refine a product that is ready to pass on to a team of developers for implementation.
- Introduction to Design Process
- Design Constraints and Making Choices
- Building Blocks of User Interaction
- Low to Hi-Fidelity Prototyping
- Conceptual Issues in Prototyping and Design
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe and scope the design problem you will try to address
- Produce user stories and storyboards to transform information about user needs into design concepts
- Produce sketches and conduct brainstorming sessions to generate many design ideas from which you can construct a high-quality design solution
- Develop interface wireframes to concretize the design and enable early user testing
- Perform user tests with paper prototypes to get preliminary user feedback on the design concept and interactions
- Develop high-fidelity mockups that specify visual design elements
- Create Wizard of Oz prototypes to efficiently test complex interactions and interactive systems that are not screen-based (e.g., smart assistants)
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone looking to gain experience in UX principles, techniques, and processes, but specifically in the areas of UI design, UX wireframing, and prototyping.
Who developed the course?
As the #1 public research university in the United States, U-M has been a leader in research, learning, and teaching for more than 200 years, with 102 Grad programs in the top 10 — U.S. News & World Report (2019).
LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan, USA
World rankingTop 30Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends