Contemporary Chinese III
Explore intermediate-level Chinese and boost your knowledge of Chinese grammar and sentence structure for better communication.
DurationApprox 12 weeks
5 hrs per week
CertificatesEarn course CertificatesFind out more
100% onlineLearn at your own paceHow it works
Cost$39/monthFind out more
Expand your Chinese fluency and construct more detailed conversations
On this 12-week Chinese language ExpertTrack, you will further develop your Chinese language skills in grammar, vocabulary, reading capacity, and speaking proficiency.
Building on your previous knowledge, you’ll dive deeper into Chinese culture to add context to your learning as you expand into more complex sentences and conversations in Chinese Mandarin.
Discover different language accents and dialects across China
Generally, there are seven main geographical dialects in China, with each region also having its own customers and differences in spoken language.
You’ll explore these different dialects, while also learning about different sentence patterns and variations in the Chinese language.
This course will guide you through various popular sports and entertainment in the different regions of China and how to talk about them in Chinese Mandarin.
Develop more complex sentences with useful phrases, words, and grammatical structures
Building on your knowledge and skills from the previous Contemporary Chinese ExpertTracks, you’ll begin to develop your Chinese vocabulary to compose sentences and conversations of increasing complexity.
You’ll learn a number of intermediate topics, from common conjunctions and prepositions to rhetorical questions and reduplication of verbs.
Explore more of Chinese culture to influence more natural conversation
In Chinese culture, people pay particular attention to choosing names. For this reason, you’ll learn about the rules surrounding Chinese names as well as how to talk about their meanings.
You’ll also delve into Chinese plant symbolism in both nature and love, before learning about a number of Chinese legends and festivals, such as the Dragon Boat Festival, Spring Festival, and the Tomb Sweeping Festival.
Learn from the experts at ChinesePlus
To support international Chinese teaching and learning, ChinesePlus was created by over 20 leading educational organizations worldwide.
With the best professionals in the field and rich resources from all collaborative global partners, ChinesePlus has perfected online teaching, learning, testing, and researching, providing top quality Chinese language courses.
Key skills you will learn
- Chinese Language
- Chinese Culture
- Intercultural Communication
- Chinese Sentence Structure
- Chinese Grammar
- Chinese Dialects
- Chinese Writing
- Chinese Names
- Chinese Legends
- Chinese Festivals
By the end of the ExpertTrack, you’ll be able to...
- Identify key categories of vocabulary
- Collect more grammatical structures and sentence patterns
- Create conversations and short paragraphs
- Practice narrating stories and reading more complex texts
- Demonstrate communication skills in Chinese
- Engage in wider range of topics related to current China
- Explore aspects of Chinese culture
- Develop general knowledge of China
This ExpertTrack is for intermediate-level learners with a good understanding of the Chinese language.
It is recommended that you complete both the Contemporary Chinese 1 ExpertTrack and the Contemporary Chinese 2 ExpertTrack first as they will give you the foundation you need for this ExpertTrack.
This ExpertTrack is designed for anyone interested in learning the Chinese language. It will develop your intermediate-level language skills, including reading, writing, speaking, and listening, and is ideal for anyone with a good command of basic to intermediate Chinese words, expressions, and grammatical structures.
ExpertTrack course overview
Contemporary Chinese III: 3.1
Expand your knowledge and skills of Chinese Mandarin and learn to build more natural conversations with cultural context.
5 hours per week
Contemporary Chinese III: 3.2
Discover key factors of Chinese culture such as naming rules and festivals while improving your Mandarin vocabulary and fluency.
5 hours per week
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
How ExpertTracks work
Join an ExpertTrack to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused courses at your own pace, and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate award which proves your expertise.
Decide if the ExpertTrack is right for you with free access to the full suite of courses and assessments for a week.
Pay a monthly subscription fee of $39 for as long as it takes you to complete the ExpertTrack. You can learn at your own pace and cancel at any time.
Receive a certificate for every completed course and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate.
Use your specialist training to progress further in your career or build expertise in areas you’re passionate about.
World-class learning with Chinese Plus
Chinese Plus lends support to domestic and foreign educational institutions, social organizations, and enterprises to take part in Online Chinese Class and set up localized platforms to conduct remote online Chinese education. It offers an all-in-one service package that includes online “teaching, learning, testing, and researching” as well as Chinese-centered online preparatory courses and “Chinese + vocational education” courses, among other services.
Meet your instructor
AFHEA, a Chinese teacher from Fudan University, has been teaching Chinese in China, Cameroon, Ecuador, the UK and Australia (remotely) for over ten years.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
What are our learners saying?
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
ExpertTracks are a series of online courses designed to help you master new skills in specialist areas. You pay a monthly subscription fee which includes access to all courses within the ExpertTrack, as well as assessments and the final digital certificate.
Each ExpertTrack comes with a 7-day free trial period. You may cancel your subscription at any time and your subscription will automatically cancel when you finish the courses and assessments in your chosen ExpertTrack.
Yes. All of our ExpertTracks come with a 7-day free trial. You may claim one free trial period per ExpertTrack.
You have seven days before you will be charged your first monthly subscription fee. When you join an ExpertTrack you automatically receive a 7-day free trial period. You can cancel at any time during the trial period and no payment will be taken from your account.
Please see our full refund policy here.
No, all of our ExpertTracks consist of fully online courses. This means you can take an ExpertTrack from anywhere in the world.
No. ExpertTracks are designed for you to master new skills in a specialist area. You will earn a digital certificate that proves your learning, but it does not carry accreditation.
If you’re looking for certified or accredited courses, many of our microcredentials offer university credit or professional certification.
Have more questions about ExpertTracks? Read the ExpertTracks FAQs, or contact us.