Discover online courses, detailed articles, and other recourses for finding a job and upskilling.
Finding your next job can sometimes seem like a difficult process. However, with the right skills and knowledge, and a little know-how, you can boost your chances in the job market. To help you get started, we’ve pulled together some useful articles, resources, and courses for job seekers and those looking to upskill.
We’ll look at some of the skills you need to find and apply for jobs and succeed at interviews. We also explore some key skills and industry-specific materials that can help you on your way.
The Big Issue and FutureLearn
The Big Issue is launching a new project, and here at FutureLearn, we’re helping to support their efforts. The Ride Out the Recession Alliance (RORA) aims to train, upskill and reskill those in need to get their career back on track. They’re offering guides and training, and teaming up with Adzuna to provide jobs.
We’ve created a collection of courses for job seekers and those looking to retrain, upskill, and improve their knowledge in various areas. In this article, you can also find guides, articles, and courses to help you with your efforts.
Help with finding a job
Finding a job that’s suitable can sometimes be the hardest part of the process. Whether you’re currently out of work or hoping to retrain, we’ve got some advice and help for job seekers.
A good CV is the starting point of any job search. The resources below can take you through some of the things you’ll need to include when you’re creating yours.
- A detailed look at how to write a CV.
- An article with free CV templates and downloads.
- What to put on your CV articles: basics, info and profile, employment history and education, key skills and interests.
- An article on the top CV skills employers are looking for.
Applications and networking
Writing a good job application and building your professional network are useful skills to have. Once you’ve got the basics mastered, you’ll be able to apply to suitable roles and leverage your network with confidence.
- A free course on how to succeed at writing applications.
- An article on writing applications and spotting mistakes in them.
- A post on how to network to improve your career.
- An article on how to get a job in the new normal.
Resources for interviews
Of all the job resources out there, many focus on interviews. That’s because it’s an essential part of the job search. If you’re reskilling or upskilling, it could be the first time in a while you’ve done one. For other job seekers, it can seem like a daunting process. Whatever your situation, we have plenty of resources to help:
- A free course on how to succeed at interviews.
- A collection of free courses that can help with key interview skills.
- A detailed blog article on how to prepare for an interview.
Improving your general skills
There are all kinds of job skills that you can develop as you’re looking for a new position. Whether you’re hoping to upskill or reskill in a particular industry, or are trying to find a job after being out of work for a while, these skills can help you stand out to potential employers.
The world of work is increasingly technology-driven. As such, it’s important to have the right digital skills for the modern workplace. These resources can help with your upskill training:
- The complete guide to digital skills.
- A free course on digital skills for work and life.
- An article on the top digital tools for productive remote working.
- An article looking at the skills gap and what you can do about it.
Soft skills are the transferrable qualities that make you a good employee. These interpersonal skills can help you find a job no matter what industry you’re in. In the articles below, you’ll find links to all kinds of upskill courses:
- A detailed look at soft skills, what they are, and how to develop them.
- An article on how to develop and demonstrate leadership skills.
- An article on effective decision making at home and at work
- A free course on communication and interpersonal skills at work.
Working on industry-specific skills
As well as soft skills, many employers also look for hard skills. These are job- or industry-relevant skills that you need in a particular role. Whether you’re upskilling, retraining, or looking for a new job, you’ll find a host of material and courses related to different industries:
- Articles exploring particular sectors in detail: Data, Psychology, Education, Healthcare, Digital.
- An article on how to become a freelance writer.
- An article exploring the hybrid jobs economy.
In the difficult circumstances we’re all currently facing, The Big Issue aims to help people stay in work and find employment. At FutureLearn, we’re doing our bit to support the campaign by providing online courses and other material to help job seekers and those looking to upskill or retrain.
No matter what your employment goals are, we have all kinds of useful links and resources to help you retrain, improve skills and reach your ambitions.