A few alarming statistics:
- Less than 10% of 4-8 year old children in Australia eat the recommended number of vegetable serves each day.
- 20% of 1-4 year old children in Canada consume more energy than they need.
- Australian children aged 2-5 years consume around 30-35% of their total energy from energy dense foods that are high in saturated fat, sugar or salt such as biscuits/cookies, cakes, lollies/candy, chocolate and fried foods.
- Children and adolescents from the United States consume 12% of their energy from fast foods and 30% eat fast foods on any given day.
- In Mexico, by the age of 9 months, approximately 75% of children consume sweets, 50% consume fruit, and 25% consume vegetables.
- In Mexico over 60% of children consume sugar sweetened beverages at the age of 12 months and almost 80% by 2 years of age.
- What are the statistics in your country?
- Where would you look to find some of these statistics?
Preventing Childhood Obesity: an Early Start to Healthy Living
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.