Why is football data important?
- Read the short piece below which helps to explain some of the background to the data we have covered but also serves to remind us why data in general is useful.
- Follow the CIES link and discover more data about the Big Five football leagues if you want to
What can data help us to do?Evidence and data in football are helpful for some or all of the following reasons:
- They allow us to make comparisons
- They provide answers
- They identify trends
- They help us to assess value for money
- They are necessary for risk assessment and informed governance
- They help to destroy myths about, for instance, an issue, a player and/or an idea
Big Five football LeaguesIt is impossible here to provide a profile of every footballing country or club that played in World Cups or Championships but you can look at some of the data provided by the CIES Football Observatory and what it allows us to say about different football teams and countries.You may wish to explore this further for yourself after the course has finishedWhat’s next?This article is simply a reminder that data is needed in order to make judgements and comparisons. In the downloads section below, you will find three PDF’s containing various football data. You are encouraged to read these PDF’s and complete the provided exercises if you wish. We now move on to listen to a series of speakers on different football issues.
Football: More than a Game
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.