How to use the concept of Minimal Viable Product
- Increase users’ sense of involvement: when users can interact and “play” with your prototype, it becomes their “baby” as well. They become emotionally attached, and feel taken serious. This will increase their propensity to buy later.
- Create a shared understanding of the offer among the members of the entrepreneurial team. Visualizations are a powerful tool to share what is really meant by your offering. “A picture says more than a thousand words.”
- Help to better estimate time, costs, skills and resources needed for the development of the final offering.
- You can become attached to the prototype, and not consider further approaches to satisfy customer needs.
- One particular dimension of attachment is that you can fall prone to the “local search bias”: You may narrow down your search for solutions to those that are similar to the prototype.
- You may promise too much and cannot realize everything that you prototype.
ReferencesBuchenau, M., Fulton Suri, J., (2000). Experience Prototyping. Paper presented at the 3rd conference on Designing interactive systems: processes, practices, methods, and techniques. New York.Houde, S., Hill, C., (1997). What do prototypes prototype? In: M. Helander, T. K. Landauer, P. Prabhu (Eds.). Handbook of Human-Computer Interaction. Elsevier, pp. 367-381.Keinz, P., Prügl, R., (2010). A user community-based approach to leveraging technological competences: An exploratory case study of a technology start-up from MIT. Creativity and Innovation Management, 19, 269-289.
Technology Entrepreneurship: How to Start a New Venture
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.