This learner has completed ID verification. Find out more.
Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course explored the nature, scale, and impact of depression and anxiety among people living with physical health problems. It looked at why mental and physical illness overlap and explored integrated approaches to care that treat mind and body together. Topics covered included how to open up conversations about mental health, symptoms of depression and anxiety, sources of support and treatment options.
3 weeks, 2 hours per week
Dr Lauren Rayner
Lecturer in Integrating Mental and Physical Healthcare
King's College London
Professor Matthew Hotopf
IMPARTS Project Lead and Professor of General Hospital Psychiatry
King's College London
- Explain the mind-body link and how mental and physical illness interact
- Describe the key risk factors, signs and symptoms, and challenges to identifying depression and anxiety in people with a physical illness
- Initiate conversations about mental health and deal effectively with barriers to discussing depression and anxiety
- Demonstrate knowledge of practical coping strategies, treatment options and sources of support for people with depression/anxiety and a physical illness
- Evaluate suicide risk and explain when and how to take action
- Reflect on how healthcare services can provide better care for people depression/anxiety and physical illness
- Overview of the mind and body link and why it matters
- The impact of depression and anxiety on health and quality of life
- Approaches to integrating mental and physical healthcare
- Communication skills to overcome barriers to talking about distress in illness
- Challenges to identifying depression and anxiety in people with a physical illness
- Assessment and management of suicide risk
- Self-care techniques and sources of support for depression and anxiety
- Treatment options, including talking therapies and medication
In association with
Issued on 3rd February 2019
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: