Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This course offered a practical introduction to corpus linguistics, covering skills necessary for collecting and analysing large digital collections of text. The use of corpora was demonstrated in a variety of areas including discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, and language learning and teaching.
8 weeks, 3 hours per week
Distinguished Professor of English Language and Linguistics
- Interpret corpus data using techniques such as concordancing, collocation and keywords.
- Describe the main methodological underpinnings behind corpus linguistics.
- Apply corpus linguistic techniques to the analysis of different types of data.
- Collect own corpora.
- Design research studies using corpus methods.
- Explain corpus methods as well as a range of applications of this versatile methodology.
- Perform corpus analysis using a range of corpus tools such as #LancsBox, CQPweb, USAS and BNClab.
- Introduction to corpus linguistics and basic techniques: concordancing
- Further corpus techniques: collocation and keywords
- Corpus-based discourse analysis
- Building a corpus: tagging and processing data
- Sociolinguistics: analysing BNC1994 and BNC2014
- Textbook and dictionary construction
- Language learning and corpus linguistics
- Swearing extravaganza: looking at language and society
Issued on 28th November 2021
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: