Fashion and Sustainability: Understanding Luxury Fashion in a Changing World
Explore the innovative approaches making fashion more sustainable
Fashion is a global industry worth $2.4 trillion, employing around 50 million people, and is said to be one of the world’s most polluting industries.
On this six-week course from the London College of Fashion and supported by luxury fashion group Kering, you’ll delve into sustainable fashion design, research, and business practice.
Once you’ve successfully completed this course, you’ll be able to better approach sustainability in your own work and become an innovative changemaker for the fashion industry.
Discover the social and environmental considerations in fashion supply chains
The fashion and textile industry needs to reduce its damaging environmental and social impacts across the supply chain.
This course will guide you through the concept of sustainable material sourcing, and look at the choices that can be made early in the design process to improve sustainability.
Delve into social sustainability and ethics within the fashion industry
There is a critical need for businesses to understand the environmental and social impacts of the design decisions they make.
You’ll explore the concepts of Planetary Boundaries and Human Equality in the context of the fashion industry and how social sustainability and ethics are currently treated in luxury fashion businesses.
Develop your skills through fashion design tasks
You’ll start by creating a draft manifesto to communicate what is important to you and how you want to approach sustainability in your work. This will guide your decisions throughout the tasks in this course, and beyond.
From there, you’ll embark on a practical design challenge based on one of four sustainability agendas. This will allow you to pull together your tools, techniques, and creativity to approach fashion design from a new, sustainable perspective.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the complex nature of sustainability through the introduction to materials sourcing for luxury fashion; informed decision making; and creative realisation of ideas.
- Apply understanding of fashion & sustainability knowledge and reflection to your practice through manifesto creation and design thinking processes.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of key sustainability agendas, issues and contexts associated with luxury fashion design, production and consumption.
- Debate current and emerging perspectives, design approaches and business strategies relevant to the contexts of planetary boundaries and human equality.
- Develop innovative approaches to fashion that can contribute to ecological resilience and thriving societies.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone working in fashion and fashion education. It may also be useful for anyone interested in sustainability in the fashion industry.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.