Improve your skills in analysis and creative writing
What do you do when you encounter a poem for the first time?
How can the process of writing poetry help you to enjoy and understand the written word in new ways?
On this course, you’ll explore strategies for close reading and creative writing using a poem called ‘Patagonia’ by Kate Clanchy as a case study.
You’ll explore the techniques that poets use and consider their impact on you as a reader.
By the end of the course, you’ll be inspired to read poetry in different ways, express yourself more effectively and you’ll have created an original poem of your own.
Week 1 – Unseen Poetry
- Ways to read and analyse poetry
- Introduction to the poem, Patagonia
- Feelings: Exploring different feelings towards text
- Patterns: Breaking the text down
- Puzzles: Tone and figurative language
Week 2 – The Creative Process
- Analysing and understanding the creative process
- Ways to start writing a poem
- Shaping a poem
- Create and share your own poem
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe how the creative writing process can lead to a better understanding of unseen poetry
- Explain the techniques available to authors when writing poetry
- Assess why poets use certain techniques in their writing and how this has an impact on meaning
- Discuss the ways in which the creative writing process provides an outlet for creativity
- Apply pattern, puzzle and shaping techniques to the interpretation and creation of poetry
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for students studying A-level English literature, language, history, and drama, and those looking to study English at university. It will also be of interest to anyone looking to develop their critical thinking about poetry and improve their skills in analysis and writing.
This course will also be of interest to A-level teachers of the same subjects looking for teaching resources and ideas to use with their students in the classroom.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #unseenpoet to talk about this course on social media.