Why join the course?
What is academic integrity? Why is it so important in academia? And how can you, as a student at university, achieve with integrity and honesty?
These are some of the important questions we’ll explore over the four weeks of the course. As we do so, you will hear from the lead educator as well as the perspectives of students like you.
Specifically, each week contains videos, articles, activities and quizzes that will help you develop the knowledge and skills needed to be a successful and ethical learner. There will also be opportunities for you to discuss your ideas with other students on the course and learn from their experiences and points of view.
By the end of the course, we hope you’ll come to understand the meaning of academic integrity and how to avoid academic dishonesty, misconduct and plagiarism but more importantly we hope you will also embrace the values associated with academic integrity as your own.
Additionally, and equally importantly, this course will help you develop study skills and academic writing skills needed to act in accordance with those values, and thus achieve with integrity.
What topics will you cover?
WEEK 1: WHAT IS ACADEMIC INTEGRITY? WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
- The meaning of academic integrity and the fundamental values associated with it
- The importance of academic integrity in academia
- Transitioning to university from different environments and adjusting to new norms and values
WEEK 2: WHAT IS ACADEMIC DISHONESTY AND HOW TO AVOID IT?
- Examples of academic dishonesty including plagiarism
- Strategies for avoiding plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty
- Most common rationalisations used to excuse academic dishonesty
- Dealing with unexpected events which may contribute to academic dishonesty
- Avoiding academic dishonesty when working on assignments—individually or in groups
WEEK 3: ACHIEVING WITH INTEGRITY: USING THE WORK OF OTHERS
- Respecting the work of others
- Referencing, summarizing, paraphrasing and quoting
WEEK 4: ACHIEVING WITH INTEGRITY: GEARING UP FOR STUDY
- Study skills which cultivate academic integrity including: time management, study planning, tips to work in groups, critical reading and note taking, essay writing, studying for exams
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
No specific requirements. The course is mainly for university and college students, including undergraduates, postgraduates and doctoral candidates.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLintegrity to talk about this course on social media.