Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Anti-Racist Approaches in Technology
Become an advocate for anti-racism in technology
Technologies have become inseparable from our daily lives and we are more reliant on them than ever before. But technologies have been designed within a predominantly white technology sector, and many of them reinforce racism.
On this course, you’ll delve into the history of racism within technology development and the different ways you can combat it in the future and bring about more inclusive technology.
Investigate how technology can discriminate
The impacts that racism in technology can have on Black people and people of colour is extremely troubling. From facial recognition to healthcare and criminal justice algorithms, racial bias in technology affects many areas of life with sometimes devastating consequences.
You’ll look into how technologies can reinforce racism and the impact this can have on Black people and people of colour, which will help you towards becoming a thoughtful advocate for anti-racism.
Compare and justify different anti-racist technologies
There are many examples of anti-racist technologies so it’s important to contrast the pros and cons of each. You’ll compare different types of these technologies and discuss why there’s such a need for anti-racist and inclusive technology.
Learn how to implement anti-racist approaches in your own work
To design anti-racist technologies, anti-racism needs to be considered at every stage of development so that technologies promote rather than hamper equality in society.
You’ll develop anti-racist tools and techniques that can be applied in your own context, from recruitment and user research through to implementation, testing, and marketing. These techniques help you in any industry and role you work in, but especially within diversity and inclusion, and technology development.
- Histories of racism within technology development
- How technologies can discriminate on the grounds of race, and the impacts this can have on Black people and people of colour
- The need for anti-racism in the technology sector
- Anti-racist design, marketing and communication
- Anti-racist approaches to the product development lifecycle, from recruitment and user research through to implementation, testing and launch
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify forms of racism within technology
- Discuss the impacts of racism in technology
- Explore examples of anti-racism in technology
- Investigate how to tackle racism through the technology development process
- Assess anti-racist approaches to data, design and marketing
- Reflect on how you will apply what you’ve learned to your own context
Who is the course for?
This course has been designed for anyone interested in creating or advocating for anti-racism in technology development. It will be of particular interest if you’re considering a career or already work in the technology sector.
You may also find this course appealing if you’re a student in a technology-based degree such as Computer Science or Design, and you’re looking to complement your technical and subject knowledge.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends