This course is part of the Learn Chinese: An Introduction to Mandarin ExpertTrack
Learn Chinese: Introduction to Chinese Grammar
Improve your confidence in reading and writing the Chinese language by learning how to use basic grammar in your sentences.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Learn Chinese: Introduction to Chinese Grammar
Increase your language skills by learning how to read Chinese
Understanding Chinese grammar is a tricky but vital step to tackle when learning the language.
Whether you want to learn Chinese for work or fun, understanding basic Chinese grammar will help you communicate and express yourself accurately.
On this four-week course, you’ll boost your knowledge of the rules of Chinese grammar and learn how to structure a sentence correctly.
Using simple daily words and phrases, you’ll learn how to read Chinese and the grammatical rules to follow in your own practice.
Learn how to write Chinese characters
You’ll understand how to structure sentences by learning how to write basic Chinese words and how to express dates and times.
You’ll explore fundamental sentence structures as well as special sentences to improve your skills in reading, writing, and translating accurately.
Understand Chinese syntax, semantics, and pragmatics
By the end of this course, you’ll understand Chinese sentence structures, their meaning, and how to use words and phrases in context to communicate more effectively.
Studying alongside experts at Shanghai International Studies University, you’ll build your confidence and skills in writing and speaking the Chinese language.
This course is part of the Introduction to Mandarin Chinese ExpertTrack, a comprehensive set of courses to help you learn how to speak, write, and pronounce Chinese Mandarin. Some basic knowledge of the Chinese language is necessary for this course.
What topics will you cover?
- Some useful words and expressions
- Some basic sentence structures and special sentences
- Simple daily communicative skills, such as self-introduction and describing daily activities
- Some knowledge of Chinese traditional culture
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Master the basic grammar in Chinese containing fundamental sentence structure and usage
- Better express yourself and more accurately in context
- Improve your skills in reading, writing and translating accurately and fluently
- Communicate in Chinese at a basic level in your daily and academic lives
- Improve your Chinese proficiency, accuracy and fluency in using Chinese
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for learners who have some basic knowledge of the Chinese language and are looking to improve and become familiar with Chinese grammar.
Who will you learn with?
Associate professor of School of Chinese Studies and Exchange, Shanghai International Studies University，has been teaching non-native speakers Chinese over 25 years.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: