- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Anthropology: Understanding Societies and Cultures
Learn more about society, cultural issues and practices
You are invited on a journey to different places and different times. On this course, you will learn about diverse ways of living and explore cultural differences and similarities.
You will be introduced to a number of anthropological theories and gain insights into how the study of other cultures and societies can help us deal with urgent problems confronting our own societies and the modern world.
Through your new knowledge about other cultures, you will reflect on your own cultural home, society and world views.
- An introduction to social and cultural anthropology
- The historical development of modern social and cultural anthropology
- Basic theoretical and analytic models applied in anthropology, including kinship theory
- A basic introduction to anthropological fieldwork and ethnography
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Investigate what the discipline of anthropology is and how it relates to the concepts of ‘culture’ and ‘society’
- Describe the historical evolution of anthropology, from its foundation to the present day.
- Produce ethnographic field notes related to a field work exercise.
- Identify the significant theorists and theories undergirding anthropology.
Who is the course for?
Recommended for learners age 15+
This course is for anyone interested in anthropology, cultural issues in society, or the workings of society and cultural practices. It would also suit those looking to develop their critical thinking or research skills. No prior experience is required.
Who developed the course?
The University of Newcastle is a world-class university distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Ranked in Australia’s Top 10 universities, and 197th in the world (QS rankings, 2021).
- LocationNewcastle, Australia
- World rankingTop 200Source: QS World University Rankings 2021
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.
Advance your career with a degree
Anthropology offers critical insight into everyday life.
This program gives insight into cultures and societies, including your own, through explaining the philosophy and practice of anthropology.