- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Emotional Intelligence at Work
Understand how emotional intelligence improves performance in the workplace
On this course you will explore how emotional intelligence influences not only our relationships with others but also with ourselves.
You will be introduced to the origins of emotional intelligence and key theorists who have attempted to define, develop and discuss this fascinating construct.
You will examine ways in which emotional intelligence can be measured, how emotional intelligence can be applied within organisational settings and whether it is possible for someone to be taught how to become more emotionally intelligent.
- The origins of emotional intelligence
- The trait, ability and mixed models of emotional intelligence
- How to measure emotional intelligence
- Criticisms of emotional intelligence research
- How emotional intelligence can be applied in organisational settings
- Emotional intelligence interventions
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe and define emotional intelligence and identify its components
- Identify differences between trait, ability and mixed models of emotional intelligence
- Apply the concept of emotional intelligence to a workplace setting
- Demonstrate what makes emotional intelligence different from ‘traditional’ intelligence
- Explain how emotional intelligence can be used to improve inter-personal relationships and guide self-development
- Compare and contrast interventions designed to develop emotional intelligence in the workplace
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of emotional intelligence research
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone with a professional or personal interest in exploring emotional intelligence in workplace settings. It is suitable for those with a background in business, psychology or with relevant work experience and for those who wish to expand their existing knowledge of emotional intelligence. It is part of the MSc Business and Organisational Psychology, which is accredited by the Association for Business Psychology.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!