Weekly study4 hours
English for Academic Purposes: a MOVE-ME Project Course
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Acquire the skills to understand and use English for Academic Purposes
Each year thousands of students travel across Europe and the world to follow university courses through English. This can be daunting, even for those who are fluent.
This online course, developed within the MOVE-ME project by UniStraSi, NUI Galway, The Open University and CTI will guide you through the features of academic discourse in English, and enable you to understand and produce written and aural academic texts.
1 ECTS credit is awarded by completing the course, taking the final test and obtaining the Certificate of Achievement.
- Week 1 is an introduction to the MOOC itself and to the concept of ‘academic’ discourse.
- Week 2 focuses on developing skills and strategies when listening to academic talks.
- Week 3 concentrates on developing skills and strategies necessary for reading academic texts.
- Week 4 focuses on acquiring and/or enhancing skills and strategies for writing academic texts.
- Week 5 is devoted to speaking in academic contexts such as how to structure and give academic oral presentations.
- Week 6 is a summary of the course with closing remarks, activities and the final test.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify and discuss features of English for Academic Purposes.
- Explore and apply skills and strategies for understanding aural and written academic texts.
- Develop and integrate different skills and strategies for producing aural and written academic texts.
- Reflect on and deepen your understanding of the features of academic texts
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at university students taking part in student mobility programmes in Europe, and anyone following academic courses in English. A minimum B1 knowledge of English is required.
What software or tools do you need?
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Word, a media player (RealPlayer, VLC, or other)
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020