A Beginner's Guide to Writing in English for University Study
Learn how to write using academic English in preparation for university study.
Academic writing can be very different from other types of written English. This course has been developed to help you learn the basics of academic writing and develop your English language skills.
You’ll develop some proficiency in key areas of ‘academic’ grammar, learn about the stages in essay writing, and produce an essay of your own. You’ll also explore how to organise an essay, write in an academic style, and use tools to evaluate your own writing and other learners’ writing, so that by the end of the course you’re able to write a good, basic academic essay.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare one aspect of life now with life in the past in one well-constructed paragraph
- Explore organisational structure of essays: identify and name the different sections of an essay
- Explain one aspect of your home town in one well-constructed paragraph, focussing on language accuracy
- Develop and write the first draft of your essay
- Contribute and receive feedback on first essay drafts
- Reflect on feedback received and improve your draft to create and submit a second draft of your essay
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for non-English speakers interested in improving their academic writing skills. It is recommended that you have a minimum level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent to get the most out of this course.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.