Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $64
Fashion and Sustainability: Understanding Luxury Fashion in a Changing World
How can we make fashion more sustainable?
Are you interested in sustainable fashion? If so, this 6-week course focusing on luxury fashion and sustainable practices might be right for you.
Fashion is a global industry worth $2.4 trillion and is said to be one of the world’s most polluting industries. Despite the issues, fashion has the power to make positive change, re-imagining currently damaging systems.
Discover why sustainable fashion is necessary
In this course, you’ll explore the different contexts for fashion and sustainability. This will include looking at planetary boundaries and human equality as reasons to use sustainable practices in fashion.
We’ll be thinking about the scale and volume of fashion consumption and changes in fashion habits. We’ll also discuss how we might reimagine ways in which fashion success could shift, such as moving away from the current fast fashion model.
Explore fabric sourcing and sustainable materials
Sourcing materials for sustainability in luxury fashion involves aesthetic, functional, economic, environmental, and social considerations.
This week we’ll be looking specifically at the social and environmental considerations in sourcing materials and you will learn from real-life scenarios. You’ll be observing fashion supply chains and debating the use of certain materials, such as leather.
Unlock your creativity and step into sustainable fashion design
It’s time to be creative, as we’ll be discussing what good design is, and how to approach fashion design for sustainability. You’ll also get to attempt a design challenge with us.
In the final week, we invite you to be a changemaker, encouraging you to share your manifesto for fashion and sustainability. We’ll look to the future of fashion, where we can establish meaningful change in the industry.
- Week 1 - Why Sustainability in Fashion?
- Week 2 - Contextualising Sustainability for a Changing World
- Week 3 - Material Dimensions: Sourcing for luxury fashion
- Week 4 - Informed Decision Making: Tools and methods
- Week 5 - Creative Possibilities
- Week 6 - Creative Realisation
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the complex nature of sustainability through the introduction to materials sourcing for luxury fashion; informed decision making; and creative realisation of ideas.
- Apply understanding of fashion & sustainability knowledge and reflection to your practice through manifesto creation and design thinking processes.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of key sustainability agendas, issues and contexts associated with luxury fashion design, production and consumption.
- Debate current and emerging perspectives, design approaches and business strategies relevant to the contexts of planetary boundaries and human equality.
- Develop innovative approaches to fashion that can contribute to ecological resilience and thriving societies.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at those working in fashion, fashion education, and those with an interest in sustainability in the fashion industry.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.