Weekly study3 hours
Management and Leadership: Growing as a Manager
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Understand the foundations of management and leadership
This online course will provide an introduction to the foundation skills and knowledge you need when becoming a manager.
It has been developed by The Open University Business School – a pioneering institution that is triple accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB – and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – the leading authority on management and leadership in the UK.
As such, it will give you the opportunity to learn from both academic experts and experienced practitioners, who have achieved the CMI’s prestigious Chartered Manager status.
Week 1 - What is Management?
- What is management?
- Personal development planning
- Influencing and communicating
Week 2 - Management Styles
- An introduction to management styles
- Classic management style theories
- The importance of management styles – trust in the workplace
Week 3 - Decision Making and Data
- An introduction to decision making
- A possible approach to decision making
- The importance of data and information
- Decision information
Week 4 - Stakeholders
- An introduction to stakeholders
- Categorising stakeholders
- Understanding stakeholders and meeting their needs
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the concepts of management and leadership
- Understand and evaluate different management and learning styles
- Identify the need for and the importance of data as evidence in good decision making
- Identify and define the term 'stakeholders' and gain an understanding of why they are important
- Begin and develop the on-going process of personal development planning
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications. It will enable you to demonstrate your continuous professional development and go on to achieve a CMI Level 5 Award as part of the Management and Leadership, Essentials program. If you also complete and pass the Management and Leadership, Personal Development program, you’ll earn another CMI Level 5 Award. Together, these two awards will give you a CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership – the next step to Chartered Manager status.
We’ve extended the final assessment date
Due to demand we have extended the final assessment registration date until 28th February 2021. We’re working to extend this further and will update this page as soon as this is confirmed.
Who developed the course?
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.