Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Healthier Building Materials and Human Health
Understand the significance of materials and health in the built environment
On this three-week course, you’ll gain insight into how the materials we use for building impacts our health and the environment.
You’ll explore the relationship between living organisms and our surroundings as you unpack the harmful effects that chemicals have. With this knowledge, you’ll better understand the communities and populations that are most vulnerable.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to implement these teachings into your design and advocate for creating a healthier built environment.
Explore the routes of chemical exposure
As you investigate different industrial chemicals, you’ll gain an understanding of how we get exposed to them and how chemicals enter the body.
Unpacking the classes and types of chemicals that affect human health, you’ll learn what happens when chemicals get inside our body and the types of chemicals that might be affecting you.
With this knowledge, you’ll learn how to transform building products and make a change to healthier materials.
Explore environmental health and vulnerable populations
As you learn how to make positive changes, you’ll unpack the physical, environmental, and socio-economic factors that make change more challenging for some populations.
You’ll research the vulnerable populations and systemic injustice related to toxicity and environmental health.
Delve into life cycle and circular design solutions
You’ll explore the life cycles of materials to understand how chemicals might persist.
Finally, you’ll look at designing for circularity and product optimisation, such as the Cradle to Cradle certified approach.
Guided by the experts at Parsons School of Design, you’ll finish the course with an understanding of the pathways to healthier environments.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the relationship between human health, building materials, chemical toxicity, and environmental exposure
- Identify how chemicals get into our bodies and how environmental toxics disproportionately impact vulnerable populations
- Investigate how environmental toxics disproportionately impact vulnerable populations
- Apply strategies to address the issues around materials and health in design practices
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in health and sustainability in relation to building.
It provides an introduction to the topic, but is applicable to anyone who works in the industry, or is simply passionate about the health of populations and the environment.
Who developed the course?
For more than a century, Parsons School of Design has been inspired by the transformative potential of design. Today, the school’s groundbreaking academic programs carry forward that mission, making Parsons the number one design school in the U.S. and among the top three globally. At the heart of a comprehensive university — The New School — Parsons draws on a range of academic fields to deliver a uniquely interdisciplinary education enriched by the resources of its home in New York City
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends