Weekly study2 hours
Premium course$59What's included?
How to Improve Your Negotiation Skills
Learn to define negotiation
Whether a major business contract or routine deal, negotiations happen every day. For businesses, those with a formal negotiation process and planning tools have been shown to benefit with an increase in income of over 40%. This makes negotiating skills highly sought-after, and essential for any business.
On this one-week CQ Original course, you’ll develop the negotiation skills to enter any scenario with confidence.
In just a couple of hours, you’ll discover how negotiation is a mental toolbox of advanced strategies as you learn the techniques to ensure everyone comes away a winner.
Explore the negotiation process
Negotiation is an activity which includes two essential elements: conflict and communication.
You’ll understand how to use communication as a tool to debate the conflict, resolve differences, and gain an advantage. To do this, you’ll explore the eight steps of the negotiation process to ensure you can successfully navigate each one.
Discover what kind of negotiator you are
There are different types of negotiators, and it’s important you know how to identify each one to communicate effectively. You’ll discover what kind of negotiator you are, from evasive to competitive, manipulative to interrogative.
As you compare different negotiation approaches, you’ll learn how to apply each one to real-life scenarios.
Learn to navigate negotiation strategies
By the end of the course, you’ll have the skills to successfully navigate the negotiation process and strategies, getting the best deal every time and establishing durable partnerships along the way.
How to improve your negotiation skills
Introduction to negotiation
This activity features a brief introduction to the course and the core definition of negotiation. It covers a few of the basic approaches to and outcomes of a negotiation.
Negotiation in action
In this activity we will see a real-world example of a negotiation in the form of a series of videos, with a careful analysis breaking down how it unfolds.
The different types of negotiators
This activity will look at the five different types of negotiators, the weaknesses of each one, and what you can do to become a more competent, cognizant negotiator.
Steps in the negotiation process
This activity will cover the eight-stage process of a negotiation, with tips on the importance of each stage and what you can do to help ensure that each stage goes smoothly.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise the definition and key aspects of negotiation
- Demonstrate how a real-world negotiation might take place, and some pitfalls that it might encounter
- Classify different types of negotiators
- Engage in a successful negotiation using the eight-step process
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who wants to improve their negotiation and communication skills.
BoxPlay is addressing the skills in the missing middle - the bridge between human and machine.
Paul Daugherty Group Chief Executive - Accenture Technology & Chief Technology Officer
Who developed the course?
BoxPlay is democratizing career success by making learning a new habit and trade through creating the most compelling, relevant, and engaging streaming educational content to help with employability and career success. Our products combine education and entertainment. We create immersive, bingeable experiences with characters, narratives, and moving visuals.
CQ: Communication Quotient™
Based on psychology, neuroscience, and communication research, CQ: Communication Quotient™ assesses your habits and tendencies, to help you better understand who you are and how you communicate. Using tested methodologies, these programs are designed to improve essential skills and supercharge your career. Learn practical, step-by-step solutions of how to bridge your IQ (Intelligence Quotient) and EQ (Emotional Quotient), leading to better conversations and relationships - at work and at home.
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you're eligible
- Download and print your Certificate of Achievement anytime
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.