Weekly study3 hours
What Does It Mean to Be Human? An Introduction to the Humanities
Explore what it means to be human and how we make sense of the world
What does it mean to be human? How do we acquire knowledge? How do we make sense of the world around us?
Through this course you’ll develop the skills and knowledge to start answering these big questions. You will consider the complexity of today’s world and engage in debates on the big ideas underpinning humanities subjects.
You will also develop the foundational skills required in the study of the humanities, including evidence-based problem solving, and intercultural awareness.
- Critical and ethical thinking
- Media and visual representations
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate introductory knowledge of the humanities disciplines, including developing understandings of how humans communicate and acquire knowledge.
- Report local and global problems and ideas, and recognise how different academic disciplines can interact to produce new understandings or findings.
- Compare foundational scholarly research using digital platforms, and find appropriate resources to answer the problem in its context.
- Apply core academic reading and writing skills to communicate research outcomes.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in the humanities, or answering questions about being human. You don’t need any previous experience.
Who developed the course?
The University of Newcastle is a world-class university distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Ranked in Australia’s Top 10 universities, and 197th in the world (QS rankings, 2021).
World rankingTop 200Source: QS World University Rankings 2021
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.