Weekly study3 hours
Innovation and Enterprise
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Introducing something new or innovating is easy in theory but hard in practice. New ideas can be plentiful, but selecting the best ideas and implementing them can be challenging. Managing the innovation process is neither a scientific process nor a black art. In addition to detailed research and planning, its success is influenced by human factors and, of course, luck!
In order to make sense of this complex topic, we have created a model for the innovation process and its management. The course will describe the PROCESS; the way the innovation pathway works from creation of new ideas to their selection and implementation.
We will study four main areas that influence this process:
- We will study the PERSON/PEOPLE that are involved in the process. This will include the entrepreneur, the inventor and the innovator, for example.
- By studying the POSSIBILITY of coming up with new ideas and making them happen, we will take a detailed look at creativity and opportunity spotting.
- We will focus on the PROTECTION of ideas through intellectual property and how this can help/hinder the innovation process.
- We will look at the PRACTICE of turning an idea into a new product or service.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
Who is the course for?
No previous experience is needed to undertake this course.
Who will you learn with?
Director of the Glendonbrook Centre for Enterprise Education. I teach enterprise and innovation management and deliver enterprise skills training to staff and students across the University.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLinnovation to talk about this course on social media.