Skip to 0 minutes and 9 secondsChina has experienced rapid economic development over the past 30 years. To sustain its rapid growth in future, China will need to transform itself to an innovation based economy. This course is an introduction to innovation and entrepreneurship in China. It is one of the pioneering courses that link discovery, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship. The course is based on the PIPE model, which has been developed by Dr Hongyi Sun over a span of 10 years. The PIPE model provides students with a broader view of the innovation and entrepreneurship process. You are welcome to join us to learn about Innovation and Entrepreneurship in China.
Foundation of Innovation and Entrepreneurship in China
Duration 5 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Why join the course?
China is a focus of today’s world economy, and its approach to innovation and entrepreneurship has an increasing global influence.
Explore the Chinese approach to innovation and entrepreneurship
This free online course will introduce the processes related to discovery, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship; the influence of Chinese culture on them; and the characteristics and thinking of Chinese innovators and entrepreneurs.
By the end of the course, you will acquire the skills and ability to:
- identify daily problems;
- generate new ideas;
- propose new products or services;
- analyse the feasibility of your ideas from an entrepreneurial perspective;
- and develop a business model and business plan.
Learn with entrepreneurship experts from CityU
This process will be guided by lead educator Dr Hongyi Sun’s PIPE model (Problem, Idea, Product and Enterprise) - a teaching model recognised with a First Award from the China Association of Higher Education under the Chinese Ministry of Education.
The course has been developed by CityU (City University of Hong Kong) - an institution that capitalises on its cross-East-West position and strong connections with the Chinese government, industry and universities, to develop innovation and knowledge transfer.
What topics will you cover?
- Demographic and economic basics in contemporary China
- Research-informed cultural binaries and their influence on facilitating or impeding innovation
- Impediments to innovation in Chinese culture
- Facilitating innovation and entrepreneurship with the systematic and cross-disciplinary PIPE Model
- Recognizing problems as innovation and entrepreneurial opportunities
- Creating innovative ideas and solutions with the Cre8map and the Diamond Style of Thinking
- Examination of new product idea feasibility with a patent search and market research
- Product design in the New Product Development process and conducting user tests to identify limitations
- Development of a business model and a business plan for a startup
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for university students and anyone interested in innovation and entrepreneurship in Hong Kong and mainland China.
Who will you learn with?
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: