Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Intermediate Spanish: Heritage and Popular Culture
Uncover what gives Spanish-speaking communities their cultural identity
On this course you’ll develop your knowledge of popular cultural expressions in Spanish-speaking worlds, from traditions and customs, to popular music and TV, learning vital vocabulary and structures along the way.
Learn about cultural heritage, customs, traditions, and celebrations
You’ll discover the importance of tradition and customs in Spanish-speaking worlds within local, national, and international dimensions, including symbols and rituals in well-known festivals.
You’ll also learn about more personal celebrations including birthdays, marriages, and other family occasions. Practical activities will help you talk and write about these using the past tense.
Putting your new skills into action, you’ll practice giving short written or oral presentations on cultural subject matters such as celebrations. This will help you develop listening strategies to engage in authentic conversations.
Explore Latin music and rhythms
You’ll gain new skills to talk about music, including naming instruments, types of music, and places where it can be heard. You’ll broaden your knowledge of Latin music, unravelling its roots and socio-political links.
You’ll investigate how influences from native America, Africa, and Europe have evolved to create distinctive Latin rhythms, such as tango, merengue, salsa, bachata, or flamenco.
Discover popular TV shows in Latin American countries and Spain
You’ll examine some well-known television programmes including comedies, telenovelas (serial dramas) and TV series in Latin American countries and Spain, and use your new language skills to reflect on the impact of these on modern Spanish-speaking societies.
You’ll end this course with an exciting opportunity to apply your new language skills in the creation and narration of your own short story.
- Customs, traditions, and celebrations
- Myths and legends
- Origin and roots of Latin and Spanish music expressions
- Telenovelas and popular TV series as part of Spanish and Latin American cultural expression
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop your ability to understand written and spoken Spanish
- Apply understanding of areas of Spanish grammar
- Develop your receptive and productive Spanish vocabulary
- Explore social practices, rituals and festive events of communities and groups living in Spain and Latin American countries
- Develop your ability to engage and discuss traditions and customs in Spain and Latin American countries
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those who are at Level A2, working towards Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Learners should feel confident to use the language in most situations likely to arise while travelling in the worlds of Spanish.
The OU’s language ExpertTracks are designed to help you progress with each one you study. It’s suggested you work through them in order to effectively develop your language skills.
Learners would benefit from having completed Intermediate Spanish: People and Places before taking this ExpertTrack.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends