Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Intermediate Spanish: Literature, Cinema and the Visual Arts
Immerse yourself in contemporary Spanish literature and film
On this course, you’ll develop your knowledge of literary, cinematic, and visual arts, especially those with political, social, and cultural significance in Spanish-speaking countries.
Delve into the contemporary literature of Spanish-speaking worlds
You’ll discover how to talk about the cultural relevance and rich variety of content created in Spanish-speaking countries, from novels and autobiographies, to diary-form narrative.
You’ll become familiar with the work of a variety of writers from Spain and Latin American countries, such as Mario Benedetti’s La Tregua, sampling their novels, poems, and plays.
You’ll learn language skills to help you express literary preferences and how to practise emotional speech to develop expressivity.
Explore the importance of cinema in Spain and Latin American countries
You’ll gain the skills to engage with films, share plots and synopses, and talk about them with others in Spanish.
Using your new skills, you’ll consider a film you’d like to see, research other options, and share your suggestions with other learners. You’ll also discover how to suggest going to the cinema.
You’ll be encouraged to write a short film synopsis or share the plot of a book or film in Spanish.
Uncover the meaning of art and artistic expression
You’ll identify what art and artistic expression means for people, and develop the skills to discuss your own art preferences.
You’ll discover how to describe some key monuments and paintings such as El Madrid de los Austrias in Spain and the Murals of Diego Riviera in Mexico, and express the feelings they evoke.
Whether visiting or relocating to a Spanish-speaking country, you’ll have the skills to use crucial vocabulary and structures to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Contemporary literature: narrative
- Movie synopses and film festivals
- Visual arts: art versus digital art and graffiti
- Architecture, murals, digital drawings and paintings
- New grammar structures and vocabulary related to the topics discussed
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop your ability to apply new written and spoken language skills in Spanish
- Apply your understanding of areas of Spanish grammar
- Develop your receptive and productive Spanish vocabulary
- Explore contemporary leisure activities and cultural life in Spain and Latin American countries
- Develop your ability to engage and discuss the range of cultural and leisure activities in Spain and Latin American countries
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those who are at Level A2, working towards Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Learners should feel confident to use the language in most situations likely to arise while travelling in the worlds of Spanish.
The OU’s language ExpertTracks are designed to help you progress with each one you study. It’s suggested you work through them in order to effectively develop your language skills.
Learners would benefit from having completed Intermediate Spanish: People and Places before taking this ExpertTrack.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends