Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $64
Introduction to Blockchain Technology and Applications
Delve into blockchain technology’s beginnings and its ever-growing applications
Blockchain technology is essential to Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other cryptocurrencies, but its applications go far beyond that. In this four-week Blockchain course, University College London (UCL) Centre for Blockchain Technologies introduces the mechanics of blockchain and explores what they can achieve.
By the end you’ll understand how blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) can be used to solve diverse business problems, going far beyond financial concerns.
Build solid blockchain theory and use foundations
The course starts with blockchain’s beginnings, exploring its start in Bitcoin, its evolution in Ethereum, and beyond. Once you understand how blockchain and DLT work, you’ll see how they foster decentralisation across business operations.
Deepen your blockchain understanding with real-world examples
The theory that you’ll learn on this course is accompanied by practical case study examples and testimonials from real-world companies who are using blockchain and DLT.
You’ll see how the technologies are improving supply chains, data reconciliation, and overall transparency; changing the way businesses make decisions; and disrupting conventional socioeconomic systems.
Learn from the leaders in blockchain technology education
This blockchain course was specifically created by the UCL Centre for Blockchain Technologies, the world’s oldest and largest academic blockchain institution.
The Centre brings its years of experience in pioneering executive education for blockchain and DLT to this course and will support you as you learn from leading experts.
The flexibility of online study makes the blockchain course ideally suited to busy working professionals, allowing you to upskill and take your career to the next level without missing a beat.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain what problems blockchains solve
- Describe what the properties of a blockchain system are
- Demonstrate knowledge of the key stakeholders in the blockchain ecosystem
- Compare decentralised and centralised systems, what the pros and cons of both are and why decentralisation is a key property of a blockchain
- Explain how blockchains could be used for payments
- Describe how cryptography and consensus mechanisms are used in blockchain systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of how blockchain can be used in supply chains
- Explain what smart contracts are, how they can be applied and how they differ from conventional contracts
- Apply the UCL Blockchain Framework to see if a business problem could be solved with the application of blockchain technology
- Reflect on how blockchain technology could lead to transformational business models and disruption in our conventional socio-economic systems
- How blockchain is being applied in decentralised finance (DeFi)
- How Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) may revolutionise cash
- How Bitcoin, Ethereum and other cryptocurrencies are being used and applied today
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in blockchain technology and its application to business problems. Those considering a career in the field or executives exploring business use of blockchain will benefit from this comprehensive introduction.
The University College London Centre for Blockchain Technologies was founded in 2016 to research the effects of Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLT) and blockchain in our socio-economic systems. The centre is the nucleus for DLT and blockchain research and engagement across eight different departments at UCL and for its Research and Industry Associate network. This network consists of over 180 researchers and practitioners from UCL, other academic institutions and companies utilising DLT.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.