Weekly study3 hours
Premium course$14What's included?
Introduction to Menu Engineering
The CPD Certification Service was established in 1996 and is the leading independent CPD accreditation institution operating across industry sectors to complement the CPD policies of professional and academic bodies. Find out more.
Explore the process of menu design and learn to make optimised, appealing menus
Menu engineering is the process of improving profitability through menu analysis and redesign.
On this two-week course, you’ll explore the basics of menu engineering and analysis. You’ll learn how data interpretation and creative menu design can be used to boost sales and maximise profits.
Create menu design ideas by interpreting sales data and highlight your best-selling dishes
For an engineered menu to be successful, it must be based on in-depth, statistical analysis.
On this course, you’ll learn to gather meaningful statistical data to optimise your menu. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to judge whether items on your menu should be promoted or replaced based on profitability and popularity.
Learn how to use statistical analysis to improve food costing and profitability
With the global rise of food costs, having a handle on these increases will allow you to make decisions on whether once profitable items are no longer viable and assess alternatives for your menu.
Having delved into the data, you’ll be able to optimise food costing controls and menu costing more widely.
Discover how menu engineering can enhance your customer experience management
Customers generally spend a couple of minutes looking at a menu before making their decision. This means you need to guide your customer to items, at only a glance.
On this course, you’ll analyse menu examples and examine ways in which a well-designed menu can appeal to your chosen customer base. This will allow your menu to become an integral part of the overall customer experience, reflecting your brand and its values.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to interpret data to create menus that draw the customer’s eye to your most profitable dishes and encourage these to align with your most popular items too.
What topics will you cover?
- Menu analysis and engineering explained.
- Food costing control programme.
- The menu and menu costing.
- Menu statistical sales data required for menu analysis.
- The menu, your brand and the customer experience.
- Maximising profits through menu analysis and menu engineering.
- How to conduct menu analysis.
- Practical menu analysis.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Define menu analysis and explain the benefits to the establishment.
- Discuss the correlation between and menu and the brand.
- Explain the contribution that the menu makes to the total customer experience
- Identify which statistical data must be kept facilitating menu analysis
- Conduct a menu analysis and draw conclusions and recommendations.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for chefs, kitchen managers and food business owners who want to learn the basics of menu engineering and menu analysis.
What software or tools do you need?
Excel and Adobe
Who will you learn with?
Catered for Nelson Mandela
Dignatries in Germany
Banqueting large function organization
Managed large team of chefs
Culinary team chef
Teaching and educating chefs
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you're eligible
- Download and print your Certificate of Achievement anytime
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #menuengineering to talk about this course on social media.
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.