Develop a business plan and build a team with this online course from The Open University and CMI.
Weekly study3 hours
Management and Leadership: Leading a Team
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Develop a business plan and build an effective team
Developing plans – and building, supporting, growing and improving teams to deliver them – is a key part of management and leadership. This online course will show you how.
It has been developed by The Open University Business School – a pioneering institution that is triple accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB – and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – the leading authority on management and leadership in the UK.
As such, it will give you the opportunity to learn from both academic experts and experienced practitioners, who have achieved the CMI’s prestigious Chartered Manager status.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 - It’s all about your stakeholders
- Review of stakeholders’ needs
- Stakeholders and change
- Influencing and communicating
Week 2 - Planning your business case for change
- What makes an effective business plan?
- Making your case for change
- Getting support for your change
Week 3 - Building your team
- Preparing for recruitment
- The process of selection
- Shortlisting and interviewing
Week 4 - Managing your team
- Induction and socialisation
- Managing individual performance and team welfare
- Engaging and motivating your team
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop a business plan which meets stakeholder needs, including resources required
- Explain what is essential in producing a good business plan
- Identify what is involved in recruiting and building an effective team including team welfare
- Discuss approaches to managing poor performance and supporting performance improvement
- Develop and draw up an action plan to support their own personal development
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications. It will enable you to demonstrate your continuous professional development and go on to achieve a CMI Level 5 Award as part of the Management and Leadership, Essentials program. If you also complete and pass the Management and Leadership, Personal Development program, you’ll earn another CMI Level 5 Award. Together, these two awards will give you a CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership – the next step to Chartered Manager status.
We’ve extended the final assessment date
Due to demand we have extended the final assessment registration date until 28th February 2021. We’re working to extend this further and will update this page as soon as this is confirmed.
What do people say about this course?
Who will you learn with?
I work for the OU Business School as Open Media Fellow. I am carrying out Doctoral research in Business Skills online. I am also an Associate Lecturer and I have an MBA and Masters in Online Learning.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLmanager20 to talk about this course on social media.