- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 4
- Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Learning and Memory: Understandings from Educational Neuroscience
The brain is the physiological dimension where memory and learning functions occur.
This course introduces our uniquely human brain and provides an overview of the central nervous system, the limbic system and the concept of neuroplasticity. Social interaction is at the core of how emotions initiate and signal the processing and placement of information in the brain.
This short course provides an overview and explores memory formation and learning, focusing on what happens in the brain when different emotional and arousal states are present. For instance, students will learn how, as part of the limbic system, the amygdala imbues memories and events with emotional significance, and can initiate fear responses that bypass rational processes taking place in the prefrontal cortex – it can therefore be ‘hijacked’ by certain stimuli, such as chronic stress and anger.
Together we will explore the implications of stress on learning and memory and authentic assessment forms for promoting content retention.
- The unique human brain, the nervous system, and the limbic system;
- The concept of neuroplasticity;
- Implications of stress on learning and memory;
- Memory processing models;
- Authentic assessment.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Share your certificate
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore processes involved in memory formation, consolidation and retrieval
- Reflect on neuroscientific research concerning memory formation and its application in a range of educational contexts
- Demonstrate knowledge of neuroscientific concepts about learning and memory
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at teachers, educators, pre-service teachers and those with an interest in the new emerging field of educational neuroscience.
Who developed the course?
CQUniversity is Australia’s leading regional university.
Our courses are designed alongside industry and many include hands-on, practical learning experiences and project-based learning. Our commitment to making real-world knowledge and skills accessible to all has seen us being awarded global recognition. We are ranked among the top 2% of Universities in the world.
- LocationRockhampton, Australia
- World rankingTop 500Source: QS World University Rankings 2020
Discover the new field of educational neuroscience. Study evidence-based research on the application of neuroscience in learning.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends