- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 4
- Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Learning and Memory: Understandings from Educational Neuroscience
The brain is the physiological dimension where memory and learning functions occur.
This course introduces our uniquely human brain and provides an overview of the central nervous system, the limbic system and the concept of neuroplasticity. Social interaction is at the core of how emotions initiate and signal the processing and placement of information in the brain.
This short course provides an overview and explores memory formation and learning, focusing on what happens in the brain when different emotional and arousal states are present. For instance, students will learn how, as part of the limbic system, the amygdala imbues memories and events with emotional significance, and can initiate fear responses that bypass rational processes taking place in the prefrontal cortex – it can therefore be ‘hijacked’ by certain stimuli, such as chronic stress and anger.
Together we will explore the implications of stress on learning and memory and authentic assessment forms for promoting content retention.
- The unique human brain, the nervous system, and the limbic system;
- The concept of neuroplasticity;
- Implications of stress on learning and memory;
- Memory processing models;
- Authentic assessment.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore processes involved in memory formation, consolidation and retrieval
- Reflect on neuroscientific research concerning memory formation and its application in a range of educational contexts
- Demonstrate knowledge of neuroscientific concepts about learning and memory
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at teachers, educators, pre-service teachers and those with an interest in the new emerging field of educational neuroscience.
Discover the new field of educational neuroscience. Study evidence-based research on the application of neuroscience in learning.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLlearningandmemory to talk about this course on social media.