Weekly study2 hours
Organ Donation: The Essentials for Healthcare Professionals
Learn about different aspects of organ donation in this CPD-approved course
Despite organ donation being hugely important there is currently limited training for healthcare workforce regarding the complex issues around organ and tissue donation. This course aims to change that.
On the course, created in collaboration with the NHS Blood and Transplant service, you will learn about the basic principles and processes involved in organ donation from the legal aspects, to types of donation, to the importance of communication with families.
Please note that this course will be facilitated by the educators on the third Monday of every month.
- Fundamentals of organ donation
- Criteria for donation
- Legal and ethical issues around organ donation
- The role of the Specialist Nurse in Organ Donation
- Donations after Death by Neurological Criteria (Brainstem Death) or Circulatory Death
- Checking donor suitability
- The organ retrieval process
- Family care and follow up
Organ Donation: The Essentials for Healthcare Professionals has been approved by the Federation of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom for 4 category 1 (external) CPD credit(s). The expiry date for CPD approval is December 2021.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the importance and basic principles of organ donation
- Summarise the types of donation, organs which can be donated and the absolute contraindications for donation
- Identify the key processes associated with organ donation such as referral, family consent, patient assessment, management of potential donors and organ allocation
- Describe assessing and diagnosing death by neurological criteria and management of a brainstem dead patient
- Evaluate the importance of laws and guidance that governs the process of organ donation and transplantation
- Describe tissue donation and how this is facilitated in UK
- Reflect upon the importance of family communication in the organ donation process
Who is the course for?
This course is for Specialist Nurses in Organ Donation (SNODs), and healthcare professionals such as nurses and doctors of all levels of experience who wish to either update their knowledge or improve their awareness of the subject, for personal or CPD reasons. It will also be useful for students training to become healthcare professionals.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.