Weekly study3 hours
Perioperative Medicine in Action
Make a difference: Improve patient outcomes with perioperative medicine
Too many patients die or suffer prolonged complications following surgery.
Perioperative medicine is an emerging, multi-disciplinary approach which seeks to optimise the care of high-risk surgical patients. It encompasses disciplines such as anaesthetics, surgery, nursing, elderly care, physiotherapy and healthcare management.
In this RCoA-endorsed course, developed by anaesthetists at University College London (UCL) Hospitals, you’ll learn the key concepts you need to improve patient safety and reduce healthcare costs.
Spanish translation available / traducción al español disponible.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Justify the need for better, more holistic care for the high risk surgical patient, to improve outcomes and reduce healthcare costs.
- Engage with risk assessment tools to characterise and quantify the risk of an individual undergoing a particular procedure.
- Demonstrate the need for protocolised care pathways and evaluate the success of the enhanced recovery programmes in reducing variance in practice.
- Describe the major challenges in delivering perioperative medicine for the elderly.
- Discuss the current economic pressure on healthcare systems and how perioperative medicine can be used to reduce these pressures.
Who is the course for?
This RCoA endorsed course is aimed at all interested healthcare professionals, both medical and allied health professionals. This would include anaesthetists, surgeons, care-of-the-elderly physicians, pre-assessment nurses, surgical ward nurses, operating department staff, physiotherapists and medical managers, emphasising that enhanced care and improved outcomes depend on a multidisciplinary approach.
Healthcare professionals might find the the Certificate of Achievement for this course useful for providing evidence of Continuing Professional Development (CPD), or commitment to their career.
Although some of the statistics and guidelines are UK specific, the key concepts and learning aims are relevant at an international level.
This run of the course will include Spanish translation of course materials / el curso ofrecerá traducción al español.
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.