Perioperative Medicine in Action
Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $69 Find out more
Make a difference: Improve patient outcomes with perioperative medicine
Too many patients die or suffer prolonged complications following surgery.
Perioperative medicine is an emerging, multi-disciplinary approach which seeks to optimise the care of high-risk surgical patients. It encompasses disciplines such as anaesthetics, surgery, nursing, elderly care, physiotherapy and healthcare management.
In this RCoA-endorsed course, developed by anaesthetists at University College London (UCL) Hospitals, you’ll learn the key concepts you need to improve patient safety and reduce healthcare costs.
Spanish translation available / traducción al español disponible.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: The surgical epidemic
- Defining the high-risk surgical patient and the need to change the way we care for them
- An introduction to perioperative medicine and the Royal College of Anaesthetists vision for improved perioperative care
- New perioperative care pathways
Week 2: Risk assessment and shared decision-making?
- The role of risk assessment and risk assessment tools including cardiopulmonary exercise testing and risk scoring systems
- Shared decision-making: what it is, why it is so important and how to achieve it.
Week 3: Protocols in surgical care
- The principles of enhanced recovery
- How healthcare professionals and patients can engage with protocols
- Protocols in the care of the emergency surgical patient
Week 4: An age old problem
- The unique perioperative problems of the elderly
- How to improve perioperative care for the elderly
- The current economic climate and how perioperative medicine is the value proposition
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This RCoA endorsed course is aimed at all interested healthcare professionals, both medical and allied health professionals. This would include anaesthetists, surgeons, care-of-the-elderly physicians, pre-assessment nurses, surgical ward nurses, operating department staff, physiotherapists and medical managers, emphasising that enhanced care and improved outcomes depend on a multidisciplinary approach.
Healthcare professionals might find the the Certificate of Achievement for this course useful for providing evidence of Continuing Professional Development (CPD), or commitment to their career.
Although some of the statistics and guidelines are UK specific, the key concepts and learning aims are relevant at an international level.
This run of the course will include Spanish translation of course materials / el curso ofrecerá traducción al español.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLPeriopMed to talk about this course on social media.