Make a difference: Improve patient outcomes with perioperative medicine
Too many patients die or suffer prolonged complications following surgery.
Perioperative medicine is an emerging, multi-disciplinary approach which seeks to optimise the care of high-risk surgical patients. It encompasses disciplines such as anaesthetics, surgery, nursing, elderly care, physiotherapy and healthcare management.
In this RCoA-endorsed course, developed by anaesthetists at University College London (UCL) Hospitals, you’ll learn the key concepts you need to improve patient safety and reduce healthcare costs.
Spanish translation available / traducción al español disponible.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: The surgical epidemic
- Defining the high-risk surgical patient and the need to change the way we care for them
- An introduction to perioperative medicine and the Royal College of Anaesthetists vision for improved perioperative care
- New perioperative care pathways
Week 2: Risk assessment and shared decision-making?
- The role of risk assessment and risk assessment tools including cardiopulmonary exercise testing and risk scoring systems
- Shared decision-making: what it is, why it is so important and how to achieve it.
Week 3: Protocols in surgical care
- The principles of enhanced recovery
- How healthcare professionals and patients can engage with protocols
- Protocols in the care of the emergency surgical patient
Week 4: An age old problem
- The unique perioperative problems of the elderly
- How to improve perioperative care for the elderly
- The current economic climate and how perioperative medicine is the value proposition
Upgrade - $79
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLPeriopMed to talk about this course on social media.