Weekly study3 hours
Preparing for University
Develop writing, critical thinking, and analytical skills for university study
Learning at a university level requires enhanced critical thinking skills, as well as being able to hold a supported, substantive argument and critically analyse sources or data.
On this course, you’ll build the foundations of these skills, so that you can prepare yourself for the challenges of this new learning environment.
You’ll hear from university lecturers on what they value in students and get advice on the more difficult aspects of learning at university.
At the end of each week, you’ll receive a summary of key skills, which you’ll find useful to refer back to as you start your university journey.
- Questioning in a university environment
- Links between independent study, revision and reading skills
- Developing writing skills which focus on persuading the reader/audience
- Textual analysis and how context affects the reading of a text
- Understanding the importance of data and its use in evidence-based argument
- Using and acknowledging the work of others through referencing
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Understand the skills needed to do well at university
- Practice the key skills required for success at university
- Understand what lecturers value in their students, and what skills their students excel at and struggle with
- Locate top tips for coping with the university learning environment
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone considering studying at a university, or a similar higher education institution.
Additionally, learnings from this course can support studying for A-levels, BTECS or other post-16 courses, as well as access or foundation courses.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.