Discover how to save data to use it across multiple runs of your program
On this course, you will learn how to save text and binary files, and how to structure data so that programs can interpret it correctly.
You will explore various common types of structured files, including CSV and JSON, and also find out how to connect to a SQL database to use it in your Python programs.
What topics will you cover?
- Creating, reading from, and writing to files using Python
- The importance of data persistence
- Structuring data using CSV files, Python dictionaries, and JSON files
- How data structures aid compatibility between systems
- Interacting with databases using SQL and Python
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate how to use Python to store and retrieve persistent data
- Describe the importance of data persistence and where it is used
- Compare different types of structured data
- Modify a program to store data in a JSON file
- Perform operations on a database using SQL statements
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those who have a little Python experience and are comfortable using functions with parameters–as covered in our Programming 102 course. Please note: screengrabs and recorded screencasts are key elements of this course.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #RPiLearn to talk about this course on social media.