Explore the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on wellbeing and mental health at an individual, group and societal level.
Weekly study2 hours
COVID-19: Psychological Impact, Wellbeing and Mental Health
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Improve your understanding of the psychological impact of COVID-19
The coronavirus pandemic is placing unprecedented mental strain on people around the world. You may be caring for someone vulnerable, struggling with finances, at risk yourself, or even grieving a loved one. All our lives have been affected.
On this course, you’ll identify the factors specific to COVID-19 that impact our wellbeing and mental health – at an individual, group and societal level.
You’ll learn helpful strategies and advice on how to deal with the anxiety and uncertainty of COVID-19, cope with its challenges, and ultimately prepare for life after coronavirus.
What topics will you cover?
- Week 1: The Psychological Impact of COVID-19
- Week 2: Steps to Take to Cope with COVID-19
- Week 3: What Next? Preparing for Life after COVID-19
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Improve understanding of the psychological impact of COVID-19 on wellbeing and mental health in society
- Develop knowledge of the impact of COVID-19 on me and those around me
- Improve ability to apply knowledge around managing my own wellbeing and mental health during COVID-19
- Improve understanding of the psychological impact of COVID-19 on my support network, work colleagues and local community
- Engage with peers to create learning opportunities with others interested in mental health and COVID-19
- Reflect on the experiences of others regarding COVID-19
Who is the course for?
This course would be useful for the general public as it considers the issues from a wide range of perspectives. It would benefit mental healthcare service users, carers, families, and health and social care workers, in addition to anyone else impacted by coronavirus across society. It has a special focus on healthcare workforce issues.
Who will you learn with?
I'm an Occupational Health Psychologist and Head of Research & Development at Maudsley Learning. My background is in NHS mental health services, mental health education and workplace well-being.
Hello, I am a consultant psychiatrist working in the NHS. I am Clinical Director of the King's Health Partners' Mind and Body programme and Managing Director of Maudsley Learning.
I work at the Tavistock & Portman NHS FT as a Clinical Psychologist for the Team Around the Practice (TAP) and Curriculum Developer in the trust's Directorate of Education & Training.
I’m head of digital at Maudsley Learning and head of learning and knowledge systems at South London and Maudsley NHS Trust.
My background is in workforce development and digital education.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #Covid19ImpactTPML to talk about this course on social media.