Why join the course?
Screenplays form the starting point for most dramatic films, the essential work from which all other filmmaking flows. All of the tender romance, terrifying action and memorable lines begin at the screenwriter’s desk. This free online course will introduce you to the basic elements and key concepts behind a professional screenplay.
The University of East Anglia’s School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing have built this course with instructors and recent alumni from their famed course in Creative Writing.
Where could this course take me?
The course is a must for anyone new to scriptwriting and for more experienced writers who wish to raise their scriptwriting to a professional level. It will establish a common vocabulary for approaching the screenplay and form the basis for upcoming courses in dramatic adaptation, the crime screenplay, and other genres and skills.
What and how will I learn?
You’ll learn from a mixture of basic theory, script analysis and practical exercises. We will explore key principles as they’re expressed in great films, then immediately apply these concepts. Videos, articles and discussion steps will offer you the opportunity to learn and engage with other learners on key concepts and ideas.
By the end of the course, you will understand the key concepts necessary to write an effective screenplay and be fluent in the language used to discuss the form.
What topics will you cover?
- Basic characteristics of screen story
- Development of a basic storyline
- Story structures including The Three Act Structure and alternate story structures.
- Characters and developing character outlines
- The construction of scenes including the role of dialogue and character voice
- The workflow for writing a first draft of feature film screenplay
- The process for screenplay formatting
- Writing – and finishing – a first draft
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLscreenwriting to talk about this course on social media.