Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Sports Performance: Exploring Sport Psychology
Uncover behind the scenes insights into the psychology of sports performance
On this four-week course, you’ll discover how sport psychology is applied to coaching, individual athletes, and competition to help you to guide others or better understand your own sporting experiences.
You’ll change how you view sports psychology and gain new skills and confidence to identify valuable next steps to develop yourself and others in sport.
Learn from sport psychology experts
Designed for anyone with an interest in the psychology of sports performance, you’ll learn from Open University experts, sports psychologists, and practising athletes about what it’s really like to use sport psychology to inform training and welfare. You’ll challenge some common cliches along the way, for example, what psychological skills do people use when they talk of ‘rebounding from setbacks’?
Discover how to support the mental health of athletes
You’ll gain skills to help you understand how athletes respond to pressure, with tools and techniques to create psychologically informed sporting environments to motivate athletes and enhance their mental health.
You’ll draw on examples to understand the link between psychology and injury in sport. Using inspiring case studies, including excerpts from The Open University and BBC co-production Freeze, you’ll examine where confidence in sport comes from and how you can enhance the resilience of others.
Examine how pressure and challenge contribute to sports performance
The way athletes respond to the pressures and challenges that face them can impact on their performance. You’ll discover how emotions can help or hinder, drawing on examples from nail-biting ‘penalty shoot-out’ moments. You’ll also understand the purpose of pre-performance routines and how they can influence athletes.
- What modern sport psychology is and how it is evolving
- Examples of how sport psychologists can enhance athlete performance
- Athlete welfare and enhancing mental health
- How psychologically informed training environments impact on athletes and their motivation
- Applying insights into athlete resilience, confidence and coping with pressure to your own sporting or personal context
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Outline the influences of, and links between, sport psychology, the individual athlete and coaching
- Describe different aspects of athlete motivation, resilience, welfare, confidence and coping with pressure
- Compare the psychological skills used in sporting case studies to those you might need in your own life
- Reflect on your own sport or fitness behaviours, beliefs and practices and identify useful next steps for further development
Who is the course for?
You will gain most benefit from the course if you are actively leading, coaching or supporting athletes, such as:
- Professional and amateur athletes, coaches and support teams
- Those with a curiosity for watching and understanding sports performances
- Sports educators
- Parents of children engaged in sports
- Strength and conditioning coaches or fitness instructors
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.