Weekly study3 hours
Teaching Primary Science: Exploring Space
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Explore the Moon, Mars, and deep space with your primary pupils
The thrill of space exploration is an exciting context for teaching the primary curriculum.
On this course, you’ll learn how to use examples from space exploration to teach science and technology in school, and discover hands-on activities for your pupils to enjoy.
You’ll address common misconceptions about space, and explore current and future space missions.
As you explore the solar system and beyond, you’ll learn effective ways to engage pupils in science and wider STEM activities, and build a curriculum plan using the context of space exploration to support your pupils’ learning.
In this course you’ll draw upon a range of resources to develop your approach to teaching primary science with the context of space exploration. You will look at how to:
- engage children in working scientifically
- learn about current and future space missions and how they can be linked to the curriculum
- investigate forces and mechanisms in robotics
- explore practical activities based upon the search for exoplanets
- explore careers in space research and industry
- find out about how we can explore space using telescopes
Completion of this course can be used as evidence for the Space Education Quality Mark in the UK.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Investigate opportunities to link space exploration and space missions with your lessons to excite and inspire your pupils.
- Develop lesson plans that involve working scientifically, using space as a context.
- Explain using models, some of the scientific concepts and ideas involved in space exploration.
Who is the course for?
This course is for primary teachers of children aged 5-11 years. The course is aligned to the English National Curriculum, but teachers of other curricula will be able to explore how the topic of space exploration supports your pupils’ learning.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.