Prepare yourself for the challenges and opportunities of life as a new teacher
Designed by educational experts at Manchester Metropolitan University’s Faculty of Education, this course will support you in the transition from teacher training to being a newly qualified teacher.
You’ll develop your abilities in independent critical reflective practice and learn ways to manage your workload to support yourself in your new role.
You’ll consider the potential issues you may face as a new teacher so that you feel ready to face the challenges of this rewarding career.
You’ll also create a teaching career-plan and learn the importance of celebrating your personal successes.
What topics will you cover?
- How to prepare for your first teaching post.
- How to develop professional self-reflection to continue securing your classroom practice.
- Mentors and new teachers discuss the potential problems new teachers face.
- Balancing workload, performative pressures and personal wellbeing.
- Sources of support.
- What if problems occur?
- Lifelong learning. Celebrating success.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop skills in personal reflection as a transition to becoming an independent, qualified teacher.
- Apply strategies to manage workload, performative pressures and gain support to survive as a new teacher.
- Explore ways of celebrating personal success and developing a teaching career plan.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for all new teachers, whether you’re a primary or secondary teacher, or you teach in other settings.
This course will provide you with support for the transition from the training phase to being a new teacher in school.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: