Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Systems Thinking for Sustainability: Analyzing and Transitioning Complex Systems
Take a structured approach to systems analysis
Systems analysis is a key tool in driving sustainable changes using systems thinking. Before you can drive systems change, you need to understand how a system works, and the roles and influence of its components so that you can analyse that information to derive meaningful learnings.
Armed with a robust analysis structure, you’ll be able to wade through complex social phenomena to become a more effective change-maker in your area of influence.
Upon completion of this course, you’ll be acquainted with the practice of analysing complex systems and translating your learnings into sound sustainability strategies.
Design actionable interventions for sustainable change
Systems analysis and design play a central role in driving systems change. This course will lay a foundation for your implementation of systems change by giving you the theoretical tools for systems analysis.
You’ll learn to break down complex systems into their different dimensions of time, space, and context. This will allow you to see where you can influence strategic interventions to drive sustainable change. You’ll consider how different interventions can have different scales of impact: direct, indirect, or systematic. You’ll also explore different approaches to complex systems thinking, such as reductionist, holistic, and symbiotic methodologies.
The course focuses on driving meaningful and actionable sustainable change. You will, therefore, explore different strategies for creating roadmaps for large-scale changes, to bring your sustainability goals into reach.
- How to break down systems in dimensions of time, space, and context, to better understand them.
- How to analyze strategic interventions across different scales of impact - i.e. direct impact, indirect impact, systemic impact.
- Different approaches in complex systems thinking - reductionist, holistic, and symbiotic.
- Different strategies for visualizing large-scale transitions on roadmaps that makes them tangible.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the main concepts underlying sustainability, and its relevance in our society today.
- Explore basic principles of systems thinking and network theory applied to sustainability.
- Access optimized versions of iterative design thinking.
- Perform quick impact scans across different dimensions of sustainability, enlarging your scope of impact.
- Evaluate the way success is defined for sustainable projects.
- Interpret systemic behaviours in society, and how they relate to sustainability transitions.
- Design your own solutioning process.
Who is the course for?
This sustainability management course is designed for anyone who would like to understand how systems analysis can help us to build more sustainable systems.
It would be suitable for purpose-driven professionals at public and private organisations.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.