Why join the course?
In times of shrinking public services, the task of caring for vulnerable children has never been more challenging. In this free online course, we’ll help you explore some of the issues involved.
We’ll consider what we mean by risk and vulnerability, as well as how we define good enough parenting. We’ll think about how children grow and develop, and how we can provide them with meaningful relationships and attachments.
We’ll go on to learn about the characteristics that define different methods of practice and consider different possible interventions.
We’ll conclude by reflecting on the current politics of caring for vulnerable children in a context of budget cuts and increasing child poverty.
What topics will you cover?
- What is meant and understood by the term vulnerability and risk?
- Assessing risk in various scenarios: exploring the links between poverty and risk and examine how risk is portrayed by the media and government
- Exploring theories of attachment and child development
- Examining developmental theories around the concept of containment
- Important considerations when communicating with children
- The power of touch and some of the problems associated with touch
- Elements and characteristics of child care practice
- Love and other important aspects of caring for vulnerable children?
- The challenge of caring for children in a risk averse context
- The Children’s Hearings System in Scotland explained
- Debates on the subject of care in today’s society
- Will the future bring changes in the way we care for vulnerable young people?
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the concepts of vulnerability, risk and good enough parenting
- Explore the concepts of attachment, containment and child development
- Evaluate the ways in which adults and carers can communicate with children and young people
- Explore possible ways to intervene in the lives of children and young people who are experiencing vulnerability and risk
- Reflect on the events surrounding the assessment and removal of vulnerable and at risk children and young people from their family homes
- Reflect upon some of the current challenges involved in responding to, and working with, vulnerable children and young people
Who is the course for?
This course will be suitable if you:
- have no direct experience of the child care field, but want to develop your career towards it;
- have recently entered the field and have little experience;
- have some experience and are interested in developing your qualifications further;
- find it difficult to access opportunities for training and development.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLChildren to talk about this course on social media.