What topics will you cover?
- What is meant and understood by the term vulnerability and risk?
- Assessing risk in various scenarios: exploring the links between poverty and risk and examine how risk is portrayed by the media and government
- Exploring theories of attachment and child development
- Examining developmental theories around the concept of containment
- Important considerations when communicating with children
- The power of touch and some of the problems associated with touch
- Elements and characteristics of child care practice
- Love and other important aspects of caring for vulnerable children?
- The challenge of caring for children in a risk averse context
- The Children’s Hearings System in Scotland explained
- Debates on the subject of care in today’s society
- Will the future bring changes in the way we care for vulnerable young people?
When would you like to start?
What will you achieve?
Who is the course for?
This course will be suitable if you:
- have no direct experience of the child care field, but want to develop your career towards it;
- have recently entered the field and have little experience;
- have some experience and are interested in developing your qualifications further;
- find it difficult to access opportunities for training and development.
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $79 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLChildren to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course