Disability and a Good Life: Working with Disability
Duration 6 weeks
Weekly study 5 hours
Work with disability to enable a good life for yourself and others
Today we recognise disability as a part of human diversity. But what does it mean to work with disability in a way that enables a good life for ourselves and others?
In this course, you’ll have the opportunity to engage with some of the big issues facing disabled people, governments, and societies. You’ll explore human rights approaches to disability and critically examine the concepts of inclusion, access and support. You’ll also learn about disability politics and policy, advocacy and activism, and consider how to work with disability at multiple levels to enable a good life for all.
What topics will you cover?
- The importance of valuing human diversity, inclusion and belonging
- The implications of discrimination and barriers to access in the lives of people with disabilities
- Definitions of disability, human rights, access, care, support and contribution
- The significance of international human rights frameworks, including the UNCRPD
- What care and support look like in practice
- The diverse ways that people with disabilities contribute to society
- Advocacy and activism as channels for working for change
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for both beginners and experts wanting to raise their awareness of disability and disability-related issues within a global context. It is appropriate for people with disabilities and their family members, friends and allies; professionals in the care and community service sectors; medical and allied health professionals; educators; built environment professionals; advocates and policy makers; scholars; and lifelong learners.
Working with Disability is an appropriate follow-up to its sister course, Thinking through Disability, which introduces you to contemporary understandings of disability as a dimension of human diversity.
Who will you learn with?
Buy a personalised, digital and printed certificate and transcript
Certificate of Achievement + transcript $69.00
Statement of Participation $54.00
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLWorkingDisability to talk about this course on social media.