Weekly study3 hours
Modern Empowerment in the Workplace
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Learn how HR practitioners can empower individuals, organisations and society
The 21st century has seen a transformation of work and the workplace.
The negative aspects of this change often get most attention – from job insecurity to diminished labour rights. But it is a time of possibility, people can work anytime, anywhere, achieving flexibility and work-life balance. This is a potentially exciting future for empowerment at work.
This online course explores the rise of this new empowerment era and the key role that HR practitioners play in it. The course will give you the insights to realise the benefits of modern empowerment for individuals, organisations and society.
What topics will you cover?
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the changing context for employee empowerment;
- Analyse problems caused by power imbalances in employment relations and recommend solutions;
- Influence others in their thinking about the effects of technological change and globalisation on contemporary employment relations; and
- Articulate and engage with relevant professional and ethical issues in empowerment at work.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the changing context for employee empowerment.
- Evaluate and analyse problems caused by power imbalances in employment relations and recommend solutions.
- Identify and influence others in their thinking about the effects of technological change and globalisation on contemporary employment relations.
- Assess and articulate and engage with relevant professional and ethical issues in empowerment at work.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those currently working in or aspiring to work in human resources (HR).
Who will you learn with?
I am senior lecturer and head of the Department of People and Organisations at the Open University. I publish widely on the future of economics, politics and empowerment.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLWorkplaceEmpowerment to talk about this course on social media.