Integrate world-class maths teaching methods into your own teaching practice
Get an introduction to Asian maths teaching methods for primary education, with this course from Macmillan Education and University of Southampton.
On this course, you’ll examine the key features of Asian maths teaching methods in greater depth, and put them into practice in your own classroom.
You’ll discover how to create your own lesson plans based on Asian maths teaching methods.
You’ll learn how to design mathematical tasks to develop your maths teaching professionally.
You’ll understand how to integrate Asian maths teaching methods into your own teaching practice.
- An overview of the key features of Asian classrooms and maths pedagogies.
- Understanding established principles with a range of examples and practices from Singapore teaching methods, including the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach and the Bar Model method.
- Understanding another Asian principle, Shanghai’s Teaching with Variation, with a range of examples and practices.
- Put these principles into practice with a range of exercises and tasks, and reflect on how you can use them in your classroom.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise the key features of Asian maths classrooms and teaching methods.
- Reflect on your own maths education and your country’s national performance in maths compared with Asian countries.
- Model Asian teaching methods through staged tasks and exercises.
- Develop the expertise to put these methods into practice in your teaching.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary school teachers, school administrators and education policy makers, but may also be of interest to parents with children at primary school.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLWorldClassMaths to talk about this course on social media.