Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $74
World Class Maths: Asian Teaching Practice
Integrate world-class maths teaching methods into your own teaching practice
Get an introduction to Asian maths teaching methods for primary education, such as the Bar Model, with this course from Macmillan Education and University of Southampton.
On this course, you’ll examine the key features of Asian maths teaching methods in greater depth, and put them into practice in your own maths teaching. You’ll discover how to create your own lesson plans based on Asian maths teaching methods, and design mathematical tasks to develop your maths teaching professionally.
You’ll also understand how to integrate Asian maths teaching methods into your own teaching practice.
- An overview of the key features of Asian classrooms and maths pedagogies.
- Understanding established principles with a range of examples and practices from Singapore teaching methods, including the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach and the Bar Model method.
- Understanding another Asian principle, Shanghai’s Teaching with Variation, with a range of examples and practices.
- Put these principles into practice with a range of exercises and tasks, and reflect on how you can use them in your classroom.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise the key features of Asian maths classrooms and teaching methods.
- Reflect on your own maths education and your country’s national performance in maths compared with Asian countries.
- Model Asian teaching methods through staged tasks and exercises.
- Develop the expertise to put these methods into practice in your teaching.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary school teachers, school administrators and education policymakers, but may also be of interest to parents with children at primary school.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.